• Last modified 5593 days ago (Feb. 21, 2009)
  • Return to Checkerboard


DICK BYERS, 79, C/371, Mentor OH, died March 6, 2001, at Lake Med Nursing & Rehabilitation in Painesville OH

79, C/371, Mentor OH, died March 6, 2001, at Lake Med Nursing & Rehabilitation in Painesville OH. He served as a forward observer in the 371st Field Artillery Battalion and received a Purple Heart after the Jeep he was traveling in struck a mine. He was well-known as a historian for the 99th Infantry Division Association and a key figure in the renewed search for comrades missing in action during World War II. After the war he worked for Iron Fireman furnace company before joining Mussun Sales, a commercial heating and air conditioning firm, in the early 1960s. He retired as vice president of the company in 1991. His interest in World War II history began in the 1960s when he traveled to Belgium to revisit sites where he had fought during the war. He made many trips to Belgium and exhibited his collection of wartime records and artifacts at local libraries and schools. He also was responsible for organizing the 99th's War Room at each convention and enjoyed sharing his collection. In the 1980s he became involved in the MIA Project to account for some of the men listed as missing in action during World War II, including 33 men from the 99th who were lost during the Battle of the Bulge. Byers provided maps and memories that helped Belgian volunteers locate the remains of some Americans killed in that campaign. Other achievements included assisting in getting the 99th monument built at Krinkelt and getting "The Battle for Elsenborn" video made. He was instrumental in helping Will Cavanagh write "Dauntless," the 99th Infantry Division history. Survivors include his wife, Jean; one son; one daughter; and five grandchildren.

1 Bn 393 Medics, 83, Williamsport PA, died April 30, 2001. A regular contributor to the Checkerboard, "Toby" was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1941. He attended a clinical laboratory course at Walter Reed General Hospital in 1942 and attended Officers' Candidate School, Carlisle Barracks PA, and was commissioned a lieutenant, medical administration corps. Following several assignments he was named Assistant Battalion Surgeon, First Battalion, 393rd Infantry Regiment, Camp Maxey TX. He served through the Battle of the Bulge, receiving the Combat Medic badge, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart. Survivors include two sons, David C. Tobias of Elkland PA, and John Christopher Tobias of Mount Pleasant Mills PA; and one granddaughter.

80, E/395, died Sept. 19, 2001, at Philadelphia PA. Drafted to the 366th Engineer Regiment in 1942, he was one of the thousands of blacks who helped integrate the military in World War II. He served as chairman of the 51st annual 99th convention in Philadelphia, then served as president of the association. He also was a well-known member of the Checkerboard Chorus. Prior to his retirement in 1980, he worked with the Philadelphia Police Department as a communications worker. He is survived by his wife, Eloise; two sons; a daughter; and many grandchildren.

84, 99QM, died Sept. 7, 2001, at his home in Kettering OH. He received a Bronze Star of merit for his service in Belgium and Germany in 1945. He served as the association's president in 1957-58. After the war he worked for 43 years at NCR, starting in cash register sales. Prior to his retirement in 1977, he was vice president of international administration and head of Africa-Middle East for the company. He was a member of the Boumi Temple Legion of Honor in Baltimore MD, the Scottish Rite Valley of Baltimore Orient of Maryland and the Washington Lodge #003 A.F.&A.M. he was a 32nd degree Mason. Survivors include twin daughters and one granddaughter.

died Oct. 14, 2001, at the age of 91. He was CO of the 3rd Bn., 395th Infantry from Van Dorn until after VE-Day. He then was XO of the 393rd and CO of the 394th as they prepared for demobilization. Butler joined the Illinois National Guard in 1926 and attended West Point from 1930-1933 where he established marksmanship records that still stand. In 1933 he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Illinois National Guard. After WWII he helped form the 123rd Inf. Regt., 44th Division, Illinois National Guard. The division was mobilized in 1952 for Korea and Butler also was ordered to Korea, originally as a battalion CO in the 7th Inf. Div. And later as a member of the division staff. Preceded in death by his wife, Madge, Col. Butler is survived by his daughter, grandson, and two great-grandchildren. Among his many medals and awards, his proudest was the Presidential Unit Citation awarded the 3rd Bn. for their defense of Hofen, Germany, when they held their positions in the face of heavy attacks and anchored the northern shoulder of the Bulge.

76, A/394, died Oct. 3, 2001, of cardiac arrest. He was in the ASTP before being sent to the 99th Infantry Division for training as an infantryman. He was wounded March 17, 1944, but returned to Germany as a member of the Occupation Army. He was discharged in 1946 and returned to college, majoring in mechanical engineering. In 1947 he changed his major to theology, graduating from the seminary in 1952. He served a number of congregations until his retirement in 1988. Bill and his wife, Jean, who both recently authored books about WWII, attended the northern Kentucky reunion as "first timers" in June. Along with his wife, other survivors include a son; daughter; five granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.

75, K/395, died Oct. 19, 2001. He served as an infantryman during World War II and fought with the 99th Infantry Division at the Battle of the Bulge in Hofen, Germany. His unit received a presidential citation for its efforts during the Bulge. After the war he completed his college education and graduated from the University of Michigan in 1949. He moved to Texas and earned a law degree from Southern Methodist University in 1953. He practiced law in the Dallas area for more than 50 years and served as a municipal court judge in Richardson TX from 1961 to 1981. Survivors include his wife, Mary of Richardson TX; a daughter; three sons; and seven grandchildren.

91, Parsons KS, C/324, died Feb. 15, 2001. He received the Purple Heart award for wounds received at Remagen Bridge. He was employed by Sinclair Pipeline Company and later with ARCO Pipeline Co. He and his wife were members of the 1984 battlefield tour. Survivors include two brothers, and several nieces and nephews.

80, Valparaiso IN, 2/395, died of cancer Dec. 11, 2000, at his home. He retired in 1979 from the U.S. Air Force where he served as a chaplain for 26 years. After his retirement, he served as chaplain at hospitals in Billings MT for 131/2 years. He retired in 1992 and moved to Indiana. He is survived by his wife, Helen, of 805 Bull's eye Lake Rd., Valparaiso 46383, and two sons.

77, Bozeman MT, A/371, died March 8, 2001. He is survived by his wife, four children, and seven grandchldren.

89, Belpre OH, A/924, died Feb. 23, 2001. Memberships included the Masonic Lodge 169, Nemesis Temple, DAV, and American Legion Post 15. Survivors include one sister, two nephews, and one niece.

75, Orlando FL, G/393, died Dec. 19, 2000. He was a member of the ASTP. He was wounded Jan. 30, 1945, as the Battle of the Bulge ended. He attended the engineering college of the University of New Hampshire and graduated magna cum laude. He was hired immediately following graduation by the Steam Turbine Division of Westinghouse Electric, where he spent his entire career. Survivors include three daughters and two sons.

78, 99th QM, died Feb. 19, 2001, in a hospital in Columbus MS, from injuries received in a fall. He was with the 99th QM Company from Dec. 10, 1942, until June 1945, when he was transferred to the 2nd QM.

A/394, Scottsburg IN, died Feb. 6, 2001. He lived alone and was found by officials, reports his nephew. His wife preceded him in death and the couple had no children.

76, Des Moines IA, A/MED, died Dec. 13, 2000.

, 84, Ridge Farm IL, Q/370, died March 26, 2001. He was a staff sergeant in the 99th during the Battle of the Bulge. He owned and operated Ridgeway Lanes and Eatery for 40 years and also owned two other restaurants. He was a regular attendant at the 99th reunions, missing the one at Philadelphia because of failing health. He is survived by his wife, Ila Blakeney of 201 E. North St., Ridge Farm IL 61870; a son, John Blakeney; two daughters, Becky Klink and Janette Brown; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

88, Prattville AL, Q/370, died Feb. 13, 2001. He was a sergeant in Headquarters Battery, 370th Field Artillery Bn., and a recipient of the Bronze Star. Although in failing health, he was able to visit foxholes in Belgium on the May battlefield tour. His foxhole buddy, Edward Renoll, attended and served as a casket bearer for the funeral service. Kuhs is survived by his wife, Hazel of 721 Summer Lane, Prattville AL 36066; two daughters; and four grandchildren.

78, Dallas TX, A/099, died March 1, 2001. He was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. An architect, he designed many buildings in Texas, as well as projects for Dr Pepper and Hewlett Packard. Survivors include his wife, Lee of 4024 Montwood Lane, Dallas TX 75229; two children; and five grandchildren.

died Sept. 11, 2000 in a nursing home in Allen Park MI. He was a corporal in A Battery, 372nd FA Bn., and an ASTP man. He performed heroically Dec. 16, 1944, when the wire lines in his battery were cut by enemy shells. In 1949, he became mentally ill and spent the rest of his life in hospitals and nursing facilities. He is survived by his wife.

75, Cleveland OH, 99th Signal Company, died March 1, 1999. He was assigned to the 99th after the ASTP program disbanded. After graduating from the University of Detroit with a degree in engineering, he worked for the U.S. Navy as an inspector of jet engines. From 1950-1962, he worked for TRW in Cleveland. Projects included work on the first space vehicle in which John Glenn cirlcled the earth in Project Apollo and a top-secret project called "Spy in the Sky" satellite. From 1962-1967 he worked for Franklin Manufacturing on the team which was responsible for developing the microwave oven business. He sold more than 1,000 microwave ovens to the vending industry. From 1967-1968 he worked for Picker X-Ray in Stamford CT, examining titanium on submarines. From 1968-1973 he returned to Cleveland to work for Electron Ohio on magnetic escort memory systems. He continued in sales until he was forced to retire because of the loss of his vision. He is survived by his wife, Maryanne; six children; and 16 grandchildren.

died of cancer in June 1999. He was CO of Service Company, 394th. He was CO of 2nd Bn. Hq. and part of the cadre that trained new 99th recruits at Camp Van Dorn.

, 78, Whitehall PA, S/924, died Jan. 6, 2001, at a nursing home in Allentown. He was a recipient of a Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and three Bronze Battle Stars. He was a member of Chapter 190, Military Order of the Purple Heart, American Legion, and VFW. From 1952-56 he was commander of Disabled American Veterans. He was a project accountant for The Austin Company, Cleveland OH, before retiring in 1984. Survivors include two brothers; three sisters; and many nieces and nephews.

75, Eldora IA, A/394, died Dec. 9, 2000, following a long battle with cancer. He had made three battlefield tours to Belgium, including visits to Honningen, Germany, where he was wounded. He also had attended several reunions, which resulted in many friendships. He was awarded a Purple Heart and Bronze Star. He was a retired farmer who is survived by his wife, LuAnn; three children; seven grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

78, Salem IN, L/394, died Oct. 24, 2000. He was a retired farmer and had worked for the Cornwall Company in Paoli IN. He was a member of Mount Carmel United Methodist Church. Survivors include his wife, Aileen of 8028 S. Becks Mill Rd., Salem IN 47167; one son; two daughters; one sister; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

78, Newport News VA, B/394, died Feb. 7, 2001. He was an aeronautical research scientist who retired from NASA, Langley Field, after 32 years of service. His work included pioneer research on effects of space radiation on people and instruments, publication of numerous research papers, and instrument design. His presentations addressed research in space radiation effects, radio-biology and aeronautical instrumentation. Rind was in the 99th Infantry Division and became a prisoner of war when he was captured during the Battle of the Bulge in January 1945. He was a Sunday school teacher for more than 40 years and was an avid outdoorsman and fisherman. He was a talented artist, painter, sculptor, gemologist, and hobbyist. Burial was in Arlington National Cemetery. He is survived by his wife, Edythe; three sons; and four grandchildren.

79, Gas City IN, T/393, died Dec. 21, 2000. He was an avid postcard collector and sports enthusiast. He was named to the 25th anniversary Indiana All-Star Basketball Team and was named the Chronicle-Tribune most valuable basketball player of the year. He retired as a supervisor of the Dana Corporation. In July 2000, he was diagnosed with lymphoma, an aggressive brain tumor. In spite of this, he was determined to attend the 99th Infantry Division Association reunion in Philadelphia with his wife, daughter and family, and Army buddy Norm Esber and his wife. Survivors include his wife, Jewell of 120 W. North A St., Gas City IN 46933; two stepdaughters; one sister; and many nieces and nephews.

88, Martin TN, B/371, died Nov. 7, 2000. He is survived by one daughter; one son; and four grandchildren. He was a T/5 truck driver for Section 2 from the time he finished basic training in April 1943, until the end of the war. He was awarded the Purple Heart as well as all other medals that was awarded to the battery and division. He worked as a foreman for Coca-Cola Bottling Company in Union City TN, from the time he returned home from the war until his retirement.

75, Sweeny TX, A/324, died Dec. 12, 2000. He was employed by Phillips Petroleum with 35 years of service and a life member of the West Brazos VFW. He came to the unit in November 1944 as a replacement. According to Frank Kyser, "Reddoch was well-liked, well-trained, and an outstanding demolition man." He had attended many reunions, the last of which was in Nashville. Survivors include his wife, Frances of 1103 N. Elm, Sweeny TX 77480; one daughter; two sons; three stepdaughters; 17 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

78, North Charleroi PA, S/393, died Aug. 14, 2000. He was a retired postal worker. He attended many reunions and was instrumental in organizing many mini reunions. He was with the 99th from Camp Van Dorn until the end. He ran "The Christian Radio Program" and also had a magic show which was appreciated by many. Survivors include two daughters and six grandchildren.

79, F/393, died Jan. 20, 2001, in Dallas TX, following a courageous battle with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). He served with the 99th during the war and was severely wounded in Germany in 1945. He received a degree from UT Austin in 1947 and worked for many years in the insurance business. He was well-known for his love of music. He was a member of the Longhorn Band at UT Austin, the First Army Air Force Band during World War II, as well as several dance bands. Survivors include four daughters and one granddaughter.

     J.J. MORRIS JR.,
84, San Francisco CA, I/394, died Dec. 31, 2000. He served with Lt. Col. Sam Lombardo during war and was decorated with the Silver Star. He ended his military career as a lieutenant colonel after continued service in the Army Reserve for 25 years. Survivors include three daughters and one grandson.

D/395, Tickfaw LA, died in June 1999. He is survived by his son, Michael who lives at 8 Mimosa Dr., Granite City IL 62040.

87, Tomahawk WI, battalion commander for the 393rd Regiment, died Nov. 16, 2000. He served in World War II and the Korean War and achieved the rank of colonel. He was decorated with the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. He attended many early reunions and had contributed maps, pictures, and logistics of his actions in the Battle of the Bulge to the Archives and the Checkerboard. He was a member of the Mercer VFW and American Legion posts. Survivors include a daughter; son; and three grandchildren.

83, Covington GA, M/395, died Dec. 21, 2000. He was a member of the mortar crew of the heavy weapons platoon and a driver. He is survived by three daughters; 12 grandchildren; and 23 great-grandchildren.

78, K/394, died Nov. 11, 2000, after a long battle with cancer. He was under hospice care at his home in Buffalo NY. Burial with full military honors was provided by a detail from Camp Drum. Survivors include his wife, Marian; two daughters; and two grandchildren.

AT/394, died Feb. 26, 2000, at Cleveland OH. He was retired from White Industries of Berea OH. He was awarded the Purple Heart and had attended many reunions. Survivors include two daughters and six grandchildren.

75, Marshall NC, B/393, died Oct. 31, 2000. He served with the 99th Infantry Division and saw action in the Ardennes, Rhineland, and central Europe campaigns. He was buried in the Rice family cemetery with full military honors. Survivors include his wife, Queene, and one son.

, 77, Clarion PA, Q/371, died Jan. 9, 2000. He was a heavy equipment operator for IA Construction and a member of the Eagles, Moose, VFW, and American Legion. Survivors include his wife, Mary; three children; and two grandchildren.

B/394, died March 17, 2001, at his home in Gaffney SC. He fought with the 99th and was captured Dec. 16, 1944, during the first day of the Battle of the Bulge. He and his wife enjoyed the 99th reunions. Survivors include his wife, Margaret, of 438 Goucher School Rd., Gaffney SC 29340; six children; 10 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

78, Spencer WV, K/395, died March 30, 2001, at his home following a brief illness. He was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War and was active in American Legion Post #21. He was a construction worker. Survivors include a friend, Mary Taylor of Gandeeville WV; daughter, Karen Simmons Cerne of St. Albans WV; son, Gregory Westfall of Belpre OH; two grandsons; and one great-granddaughter.

76, Belmont OH, died Nov. 24, 2000. He was a retired barn painter, known for traveling the eastern United States painting Mail Pouch barns for 55 years. He retired in 1993. In his retirement he created birdhouses and mailboxes that resembled structures he had painted over the years. He came out of retirement in October 2000, to touch up his work on a barn near his home. Survivors include his wife, Louise; two daughters; two sons; and one grandson.

80, Monroe NC, B/393, died March 21, 2001. He is survived by his wife, Gladys of 1524 Fletcher Broom Rd., Monroe NC 28112; four children; and eight grandchildren.

K/393, 78, Mechanicsburg PA, died June 17, 2001, of a ruptured aortic aneurysm. He was in the fourth platoon of K Company. He and his wife attended the Philadelphia convention. He is survived by his wife, Vera, of 317 Silver Springs Rd., Mechanicsburg PA 17050; two sons; two daughters; 13 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. A third son died nine days earlier as a result of an auto accident.

370th FA Bn., 78, died June 18, 2001, Tucson AZ. He served with the 99th from 1942-45 and was in Germany, France, and Belgium before he was injured and sent back to the United States. He made many life-long friends and attended many reunions. He is survived by his wife Frieda; two daughters; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

A/393, died April 12, 2000. He looked forward to attending the reunions. He is survived by his wife, Virginia of Kittanning PA.

died in June 2001. He was a longtime member of H/393 and remained in the Army for more than 25 years before retiring with the rank of master sergeant. He attended the Philadelphia convention and had registered for the Kentucky convention. He is survived by a son, Keith.

M/395, 78, of Volant PA, died May 18, 2001, at Farrell PA. Survivors include his wife Leora; two daughters; a son; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

S/924, 83, died May 22, 2001, at a hospital near his home in Lake Toxaway NC. He was a battery clerk in the 924th FA BN service battery from Camp Maxey until Dec. 17, 1944, when he was captured as the 1st SS Panzer Division tanks overran Bullingen. During internment at 13C, Hammelburg, he conducted church services for the barracks. He was a school teacher and minister in Florida until he retired and moved to North Carolina. He is survived by his wife, Ruth and their children.

G/393, 77, died May 22, 2001, at Fort Lauderdale FL. He was buried June 13 at Arlington National Cemetery. He was active in his church, numerous charities, scouting, and in programs for the poor, mostly in education and development programs for underprivileged youth. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; four children; and seven nieces and nephews he raised when his brother and sister-in-law died in 1968.

D/395, died April 1, 2001, after a massive heart attack. He had been in both the 394th and 395th. He is survived by his wife, Mary Ann of Valparaiso FL; one son; and one brother.

H/394, 79, died Feb. 9, 2000, at Fort Wayne IN. He is survived by his wife Betty; a daughter; two sons; seven grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; one great-grandchild; six step-great-grandchildren; and two step-great-great-grandchildren.

I/395, died May 5, 2001. He was an active member of the Civil War Roundtable and also was an experienced ham radio operator.

E/394, died Dec. 13, 1999, at Macungie PA.

C/394, 87, of Evansville IN, died March 4, 2001. He was proud to have served with the 99th.

master sergeant of Division Headquarters G-3, died May 9, 2001, of end-stage Parkinson's Disease. He is survived by his wife, Margaret, who accompanied him to Camp Van Dorn and Camp Maxey; two daughters; three grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

79, died July 6, 2000. He is survived by his wife, Evelyn of Decatur GA; one daughter; one son; and four grandchildren.

86, died Aug. 23, 2001, of an aneurysm of the brain. He was a corporal in the 99th and was captured and taken to Stalag IV-B. After the war he studied classical violin and was a standby player with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. He also was scouted by the St. Louis Cardinals but rejected for being too short. He worked for U.S. Steel in the 1950s and Continental Can before he retired. He is survived by his wife, Edna of Clairton PA; two sons; a daughter; six grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

H/393, died July 6, 2001. "Boxie" as he was called, was a native of Pittsburgh PA, and had attended several 99th conventions.

86, K/393, died Sept. 8, 2001, at the home of his daughter. He was a sergeant in the mortar section of K Company and fired a base-less mortar tube at 89 degrees during the first day of the Battle of the Bulge. He retired as a foreman at Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel, Allenport PA. He was preceded in death by his wife in 1994. Survivors include a daughter; son; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

F/393, died June 18, 2001, at his home in St. Louis MO. He attended Texas A&M and was inducted into the service in the spring of 1943. After basic training, he attended McNeese State ASTP program. He joined F Company in March 1944. He served with the 99th from Camp Maxey, through three European campaigns to postwar occupation duty. He was awarded the Bronze Star and received a Purple Heart for wounds received March 22, 1945. He attended numerous 99th conventions and contributed to the division history by researching morning reports at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. After the war he operated his own business as a manufacturer's representative. Survivors include his wife, Gracie; 11 children; and 33 grandchildren.

, who joined the 99th Recon Troop at Camp Maxey, died Aug. 14, 2001, at Little Rock AR. He was active in the reserves after WWII until he retired as a colonel. He is survived by two daughters.

, 84, I/393, died July 2, 2001, at his home in Greenfield TN. He earned the Combat Infantry Badge, Bronze Star, and the Purple Heart. According to his squad leader, Beryl Franklin, "He was an outstanding BAR man, a fine patriot, and a loyal friend by all his comrades in the Army." Survivors include his wife, Irene, who lives at 1683 Stafford Store Road, Greenfield TN 38230-3748.

G/393, died March 26, 2001. He is survived by his wife, Natalie of 5346 Lakeshore Rd., Fort Gratiot MI.

76, died Aug. 3, 2001, at his home in Albany OR. He entered the Army in November 1943 and served as an infantry squad leader in the 394th Infantry Regiment in the Rhineland campaign and the Battle of the Bulge. After being severely wounded at Remagen, he was discharged with a Purple Heart in November 1945. He graduated with a degree in interior design and worked as a landscape supervisor and in carpet sales. After his retirement, he enjoyed ornamental gardening. Survivors include a son; daughter; and one grandson.

79, H/394, died July 11, 2001, at Alexandria VA. He was a staff sergeant in the heavy machine gun platoon of Weapons Company. Staying in contact with his Army friends was a lifelong project and he spent part of every vacation contacting buddies. He is survived by his wife, Mary, and three children.

79, E/395, died May 9, 2001, in East Palestine OH, following a brief illness. He was severely wounded in the beginning of the Bulge.

Major, executive officer to Col. Beckjord in the 324th Medical Battalion, died July 3, 2001. He remained in the Army, serving in the Korean War, and returning to civilian life as a lieutenant colonel. He lived in Haiku HI, with his wife and family.

79, L/393, died Sept. 10, 2001, at Cumberland MD. He graduated high school in 1942 and immediately entered military service. He attained the rank of master sergeant as a member of the 99th Infantry Division. He was decorated for heroism with the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and earned three Purple Hearts during his European service. Tour of duty included the Battle of the Bulge, first to cross the Rhine at Remagen, and liberating Jewish prison camps. He was a lifetime member of the VFW and a past master in the Masonic Lodge. He was active with the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and co-coached a Little League baseball team. He was a 10-year volunteer for the Meals on Wheels program. He retired from Western Maryland Railway. Survivors include his wife, Rena; two sons; and other family members.