With 99th Division directors' permission, representatives of the 277th Volksgrenadier Division dedicated a monument March 3 commemorating the Dec. 16, 1944, beginning of the German Ardennes offensive.
In the fall of 2006, the Diggers, Jean-Louis Seel and Jean-Philippe Speder were contacted by 277th VGD to relay a request to the 99th Infantry Division Association for permission to place a monument at the point of attack by the 989th VG Regiment, directly at K/393.
The board of directors agreed providing the inscription was not offensive. When it was learned the monument would have only "277 VGD" on one side and "99 US ID" on the other, it was acceptable.
The monument is located down the trail from the corner of the International Highway, where it turns east toward Hollerath, down the trail and about 20 paces into the forest at the north end of the 2nd Platoon positions.
The east face of the monument has the 277th inscription; the 99th inscription is on the west face.