• Last modified 5336 days ago (Nov. 10, 2009)



John Rarick, 85, C/393, St. Francisville LA, died Sept. 14, 2009. He was a former U.S. congressman for the 6th District of Louisiana and 20th Judicial District judge for East and West Feliciana parishes. Captured by the Germans during the Battle of the Bulge, he was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals. He was a graduate of Louisiana State University and Tulane University where he received his law degree and served as a member of the state bar association for more than 60 years. He was a state district judge from 1961-1966. In 1967, he became the U.S. representative for the 6th District of Louisiana, serving four terms through 1975. In 1980, he was nominated and ran for president of the United States as the American Independent Party candidate. He was preceded in death by his wife, Marguerite Pierce Rarick, and a grandson. Survivors include his wife, Frances; three children, John Rarick II, Cherie Brumfield and Laurie Slattery; nine grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. He also is survived by four stepchildren, Scott, Don and Dave Campbell and Lori Teufert; and a step-grandchild.

Peter J. Lombardo, 84, D/395, Norwalk CT, died July 30, 2009. During World War II, he served in the 1st Infantry Division in North Africa, 36th Infantry Division in Italy and the 99th Infantry Division in France. He was wounded four times, the first Feb. 20, 1943, the second Jan. 21, 1944, in Italy, the third in August 1944, in Normandy, France, and the last time in Belgium at the beginning of the Battle of the Bulge. He was awarded three Purple Hearts and four Bronze Stars. He also received one Silver Star for rescuing two American soldiers. He was honorably discharged in 1945. Survivors include his wife, Theresa; four children; 10 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Rev. Lindell “Lindy” Sawyers, 84, C/395, Summerville SC, died Sept. 3, 2009. He was a member of the choir and led a course of Bible studies. He was preceded in death by his wife, the Rev. Anne Jenkins Sawyers.

Arthur Mikles, 86, A/370, New Richmond OH, died July 8, 2009. Survivors include his wife, Betty; eight children; 17 grandchildren; 32 great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild.

Karl W. Wagner, 83, M/393, Naples FL, died Sept. 24, 2009. He joined the 99th at Camp Maxey and went overseas with the division, serving in the Battle of the Bulge in the Krinkelt area. He was evacuated Dec. 17-18, 1944, with severe trench foot. He later rejoined M Company and was awarded a Bronze Star. He owned and managed Wagner Printers Inc., with offices and production facilities in the Midwest.

Robert Justice, 83, E/395, Woodburn OR, died Aug. 3, 2009. He was awarded a Purple Heart and three Bronze Stars during the war, ending his tour in Wildflecken. On returning to the U.S., he was assigned to the 4th Division in preparation for being shipped to Japan. Using the GI Bill, he attended college in Spearfish SD, earning a BA in education in 1954. He earned his master’s degree in Monmouth MT, in 1970, where he began his teaching career. He retired in 1986 at Seaside OR. Survivors include his wife, Murva; three daughters; eight grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Charles Jacobs, 87, C/370, Batavia OH, died Feb. 3, 2009. He was a machine gunner in the Battle of the Bulge. After the war, he worked for G.E. for 40 years. Survivors include his wife, Wilma; a daughter; granddaughter; and two great-grandchildren.

Marion Harker, 83, Q/393, Urbandale IA, died July 30, 2009. He had just returned from a battlefield tour to Normandy for the 65th anniversary of D-Day and the Ardennes, and the 60th annual convention of the 99th Infantry Division Association. He was known as the Valley Junction delivery man as he delivered medicines, coal, ice and groceries as a teen and for 37 years as a letter carrier. Survivors include seven children; many grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and companion, Shirley Titus.

Henry Puchalsky, A/395, Greensburg PA, died in March 2007. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He served in Korea and 25 years in the Army Reserves. He is survived by two daughters.

Last modified Nov. 10, 2009