• Last modified 5241 days ago (Feb. 12, 2010)



George Nothwang, 85, I/395, South San Jose CA, died July 3, 2009. He was the only surviving member of his original squad – 2nd Squad, 3rd Platoon, I/395. By the end of the war, he was a staff sergeant. After the war, he completed his undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering and graduated from San Jose State University. He graduated from Stanford University in 1948 with a master’s degree in aeronautical engineering. His professional career spanned more than 35 years with NASA and G.E. He was a wind-tunnel researcher and later a test and integrations manager for the Pioneer Spacecraft Program at Ames Research Center, Moffett Field CA.

Marion Harker, 83, Q/393, Urbandale IA, died July 30, 2009. He had just returned from a battlefield tour to Normandy for the 65th anniversary of D-Day and the Ardennes, and the 60th annual convention of the 99th Infantry Division Association. He was known as the Valley Junction delivery man as he delivered medicines, coal, ice and groceries as a teen and for 37 years as a letter carrier. Survivors include seven children; many grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and companion, Shirley Titus.

William Hughes, 3/393, Monessen PA, died Aug. 15, 2009. Although he rarely spoke of his combat days, he was a proud participant of activities with the local chapters of the VFW and American Legion.

Leon St. Pierre, 83, H/393, Tyler TX, died Nov. 8, 2008. He worked for 35 years as a draftsman with General electric. Survivors include his wife, Hilda; three children; four stepchildren; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Eugene Manfield, Can/394, Lenexa KS, died July 11, 2009. He was captured Dec. 16, 1944, during the Battle of the Bulge and was a prisoner of war at Stammlager IVB Camp until being liberated April 29, 1945. He was awarded a Purple Heart. After the war, he owned and operated the Auditorium Bar & Grill, also known as “Eugene’s on 14th,” in downtown Kansas City, from 1948 until retirement in 1994. Survivors include his wife, Eula; two children; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Ernest McDaniel, 85, F/393, West Lafayette IN, died July 15, 2009. He is survived by his wife, Tippin.

Frank Meyer, 83, 5/MED, Paris TX, died Dec. 26, 2008. He worked for Babcock’s Auto Supply in Bonham, Dallas and Paris TX, then became an insurance agent before beginning his career with Campbell Soup Company, which spanned 24 years before his retirement. Survivors include his wife, Anna; three children; six grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

James Collins, 88, Battle Ground WA, died April 6, 2009.

Eli “Lefty” Heitic, F/393, Barberton OH, died Nov. 29, 2008. He served with the original cadre at Camp Van Dorn with his longtime friend, Stan Lowry. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and earned a Bronze Star. After the war he worked for Massey-Ferguson until his retirement. Survivors include seven children; four grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Albert Adler, 90, M/395, McMillan MI, died Nov. 26, 2008. He received a Bronze Star for his actions during the Battle of the Bulge, Remagen, Rhineland and the Ruhr Pocket. He retired from Great Lakes Steel after 33 years of service. Survivors include his wife, Florence; two children; and three grandchildren.

Carter Smith, 88, Q/395, Fountain NC, died Dec. 14, 2008. After his discharge he was active in his town’s volunteer fire department as a firefighter and fire chief. He also served as mayor for more than 30 years. Survivors include three children and three grandchildren.

Ernest Mettenet, 82, D/394, Salt Lake City UT, died July 10, 2007. He was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Combat Infantry Badge for his service. After the war, he graduated from the University of Delaware with a degree in engineering and became president of Hercules Aerospace Division where he was a pioneer in solid rocket motor development. Survivors include three children; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Newman C. Smith, 89, C/395, Bartow GA, died May 15, 2009. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and earned three Bronze Stars. He retired as a foreman from Fulghum Industries in Wadley GA. Survivors include five children; four grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; six step-great-grandchildren; and special friend Julia Mae Josey.

Warren Schilling, 85, Fort Myers FL, died July 3, 2009. He was drafted into the Army in 1943. In May 1945, after fighting across Europe in an infantry rifle platoon, he received a battlefield commission from tech sergeant to second lieutenant. Upon returning to civilian life, he graduated from the University of Miami in 1949 with a degree in industrial engineering. He was recalled to active duty in 1951 in the Army Corps of Engineers and and served in the Korean War as a company commander. He then was commissioned in the regular Army and sent to Texas A&M for a degree in civil engineering. During his career, he served overseas with assignments including teaching and testing atomic demolition munitions and supervising the lock-up of nuclear weapons in NATO. He returned to the States to serve as a senior aide de camp to Gen. Omar Bradley and later was in Washington, D.C., with the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency. He was a command engineer for the Army Material Command in Alexandria VA, then moved to the Pentagon for his final years of active duty as Civil Engineer for the Defense Intelligence Agency. He retired in 1978, with more than 30 years of active service. Upon retirement, he joined the staff at Wheaton College in Wheaton IL, where he helped construct the Billy Graham Center and became the campus energy manager. For many years after retirement, he taught Christian seminars all over the nation and was an in-demand Bible teacher wherever he went. He is survived by a brother; nephew; and two nieces.

Irvin “Bud” Olt, 89, G/394, New Lebanon OH, died Feb. 25, 2008. After farming full-time for many years, he began working at Farmers & Citizens Bank of New Lebanon in 1955, retiring as branch manager after almost 30 years of service.

Nevelle McKinney, 86, Q/099, Green Valley AZ, died March 14, 2009. His military career began in the Oklahoma National Guard in 1932, rising up through the ranks from private to second lieutenant by 1940. When his unit was called into federal service, he was one of three ordnance officers. He was promoted to a company CO then to Third Army Ordnance Maintenance Officer and member of the staff of the Southern Defense Command where he spent four years training units, inspecting equipment and attending schools. In 1944, he was sent to Europe as part of the 99th Infantry Division. He was involved in many actions, including the Battle of the Bulge and crossing the Remagen Bridge while it was still under fire. For his service, he received 14 medals and service ribbons, including the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. He retired from the army as a full colonel after 34 years of service. After the war, he and his wife, Francis settled in Dallas TX, where he owned several drug stores and was involved in Dallas politics. The couple lived many years in Taos NM, before retiring in Green Valley AZ. Survivors include three children; nine grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren.

Other deaths

Frances Boyd, 85, widow of Jack Boyd, B/393, died March 17, 2009, at Austin TX. Jack died in 2007. They enjoyed attending the annual conventions. Survivors include three children; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Isabelle Menestrey, 44, wife of Jean-Luc Menestrey died Oct. 1, 2009. Menestrey is one of the Belgian “Diggers” and has been a guest of the 99th at many annual conventions.

Last modified Feb. 12, 2010