• Last modified 4724 days ago (July 15, 2011)



Seth Furnas, 88, E/394, Centerville OH, died April 25, 2011. He proudly served with the 99th from 1944 until September 1946. After the war, he was a guard at the Nuremberg Trials. He was a farmer and involved in many community organizations. He was preceded in death by his wife. Survivors include four children; 10 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Samuel Turner Hart, 90, Salisbury NC, died Dec. 7, 2010. He served in the 395th Regiment Dental Office. He was awarded a Purple Heart. After World War II, he practiced dentistry for 38 years. Survivors include his wife, Mary; two daughters; and five grandchildren.

Nethery Smith Marrow, 95, Austin TX, died Nov. 30, 2010. In 1940, he graduated from the University of Texas-Austin with a BA degree in business and in 1946 with an MBA in marketing. He was self-employed in the business of petroleum land management and oil and gas production. Survivors include three nephews and a niece.

Victor Huss, 89, B/324, Wheaton IL, died March 31, 2011. During World War II, he earned two Purple Hearts. He got the second one during the early part of the Bulge when he was riding in a jeep that hit a land mine while making a run to Bastogne. He was evacuated to England, then back to the States. After the war he worked for Banner Iron Works, St. Louis MO. He graduated with a degree in structural engineering from Washington University in St. Louis. Later in his career he ran his own consulting firm. He and his wife, Ruth attended many 99th conventions and took part in a Battlefield Tour to Belgium and Germany. Other survivors include two children and one grandchild.

Edward Dobrick, 86, A/324, Annapolis MD, died May 22, 2011. After the war, he worked for Bell Telephone of Pennsylvania for 37 years before retiring as an engineer. Survivors include his wife, Rebecca; three children; and five grandchildren.

Walter T. Morrison, 3/394, Smithville OH, died Jan. 27, 2011. He is survived by his wife, Doris.

Albert “Spot” Redford, 100, Glasgow KY, died April 30, 2011. He was assigned to the 324th Engineers, Medical Detachment. He received a Purple Heart while participating in the Battle of the Bulge. He was a long-time employee of Ely Drugs, Glasgow. Survivors include two children; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Carlos Oscar Rodriguez Sr., 86, K/393, El Paso TX, died July 28, 2010. Al Labens and Don Rader were his foxhole buddies. After the war, he graduated from the Texas College of Mines and went on to a successful career as a metallurgical engineer with various firms and was the principal of his mining consulting firm. Survivors include three children; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Wayne Cleveland, 87, I/394, Warrensburg MO, died April 16, 2011. He attended Northern State Teachers College at Aberdeen SD, for two years, then was inducted into the U.S. Army in 1943. After attending the Army Specialized Training Program, he was assigned to the 99th. He was wounded at the Remagen Bridge crossing, and was discharged after eight months of hospitalization. After the war, he continued his education and taught and coached high school sports, served as a principal and superintendent, then taught at the college level for 25 years. He enjoyed 99th reunions and battlefield tours. He is survived by his wife, Anna; six children; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Oliver Gaskell of North Canton OH, died April 6, 2011. He is survived by his wife, Rosemary.

Edouard Louis Martel, 85, Marlborough MA, died Jan. 11, 2011. He served in the 395th Infantry Division, and was awarded a Bronze Star and Purple Heart. After the war, he graduated from Dartmouth College. Following his retirement in 1981 from Marlborough High School, he owned and operated his own landscaping company, EdMar Services. Following his second retirement, he worked at Marlborough Country Club. He is survived by four children and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

George Aaron, 97, 1/393, Aurora CO, died March 13, 2011. He is survived by two children; six grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Ralph F. Jones, 94, I/395, Denton KS, died Sept. 29, 2010. He enlisted Aug. 22, 1939, at Ft. McDowell CA. After duty in the Panama Canal Zone and Trinidad, he was assigned to the 99th Infantry Division at Camp Maxey TX, in December 1941. He deployed to Europe in October 1944. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge. After the war, he farmed and was a welder in his home community of Bendena KS. He and his wife, Alberta enjoyed attending many 99th conventions. Other survivors include five children; 11 grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren.

Iveal “Chub” Davis, 85, M/393, Seymour MO, died June 17, 2011. He spent 15 months with the 99th as a heavy machine gunner. He was awarded a Purple Heart and four Bronze Stars prior to his honorable discharge in 1946. He performed a variety of jobs and retired from the Pleasant Valley Road Department. Survivors include two daughters; six grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

James R. Moore, 85, Quincy IL, died Dec. 31, 2010. He was a Purple Heart recipient and also was awarded a Bronze Star. He was a salesman for most of his career and worked for Allis-Chalmers before retiring in 1992. Survivors include his wife, Mary; two sons; and two grandchildren.

Thomas J. Macha, Decorah IA, died May 26, 2011. He served as a second scout in the 2nd Platoon, K/394. Survivors include two daughters and a granddaughter.

Robert Howard Jr., 89, O/799, Peace Dale RI, died March 16, 2011. He was a civil engineer for 31 years with the Dupont Company in Wilmington DE, retiring in 1982. Survivors include a daughter; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Earl M. Rogers, 88, 1/394 Medical Detachment, Waynesboro VA, died March 27, 2011. He was a medic and ambulance driver during the war. After the war he worked as a farmer and sheet metal worker. Survivors include two daughters; six grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.

Last modified July 15, 2011