• Last modified 4562 days ago (Dec. 23, 2011)


John W. "Jack" Rue

John W. “Jack” Rue, 91, S/394, Reston VA, died Sept. 20, 2011. He was a motor transportation officer for the 394th Regiment and was promoted to captain during the Battle of the Bulge. He was a life member of four veterans’ organizations. Jack marched in many Memorial Day Parades in Washington, D.C., and association Chaplain Arnold and Lilian Taylor attended his funeral. Survivors include three children; two granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.

Haskell Wolff, 87, H/394, Dumas AR, died Jan. 16, 2010. He was proprietor of Wolff Brothrs Department Store in Dumas. Survivors include his wife, Elaine; two children; and a grandson.

Marvin Goldblatt, 86, H/393, Phoenix AZ, died Jan. 4, 2011. He was an ASTP recruit who went on to become an 81mm mortarman, landing with the division in LeHavre, and surviving the war to serve in the occupation force. After the war, he studied at the University of Illinois, then medical school at the University of Bern Switzerland, eventually establishing a career dermatology practice. His wife Erika; three sons; and a grandson survive him.

Wendell H. Cathey, A/393, Stephenville TX, died June 24, 2011.

Robert Pierce, 86, B/395, Seattle WA, died Sept. 13, 2011. He proudly served in the Army during World War II and continued his Army service as a reserve officer until retiring in 1985 as a lieutenant colonel. He was employed at Boeing from 1951 until his retirement in 1987. Survivors include his wife, Dorothy; two daughters; and a granddaughter.

Edward Ambrosini, 89, AT/393, Concord NC, died June 20, 2011. He was employed by BF Goodrich Tire Co. for 43 years, where he held a number of management positions before retiring in 1984. Survivors include his wife, Kathryn; two sons; three grandchildren; two stepgrandsons; and four great-grandchildren.

Joe S. Harrell, 87, C/393, Dallas TX, died July 21, 2011. He attended Texas A&M before serving in the 99th. He was wounded during the Battle of the Bulge. Following the war, he worked at a variety of jobs before moving into sales. He founded two companies which he sold to establish his final business venture, Nucon Inc., a manufacturer of injection molded products. His hobbies included flying, motorcycles and playing golf and tennis. Survivors include two children and three grandchildren.

Maltie Anderson, 85, E/394, Columbus GA, died Aug. 29, 2011. He was awarded a Purple Heart for wounds sufferd during the Rhineland Campaign. He was an accountant by profession. Survivors include his wife, Sara; four children; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

George W. Neill, 89, L/395, Carmichael CA, died Aug. 13, 2011. He was awarded a Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. He graduated in 1947 from the University of California at Berkeley with a double major in U.S. history and journalism. During his career, he was a foreign correspondent for North American Newspaper Alliance; editor of the Pasadena Star-News and copy editor for the Los Angeles Times and Stars and Stripes, European Edition. He later was director of press relations for the California Teachers Association and editor of Education USA in Washington, D.C. He became an assistant superintendent of public instruction for the California Department of Education, and was a member of the board of diretors of KVIE public television in the 1970s. Between 1991 and 2000, he wrote “Infantry Soldier,” a highly acclaimed book about the life of front line infantrymen during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Shirley; two children; and two grandchildren.

Kenneth J. Stanger, 88, Cannon/395, Ogden UT, died June 24, 2011. He was awarded a Bronze Star for service during the Battle of the Bulge. He and his wife, Evona had been part of many battlefield tours to the Ardennes, where he had been honored by the Belgian government for his service and placed a wreath at Henri-Chapelle American Military Cemetery. They also regularly attended the association conventions and had many, many friends in the organization. He attended Lousiana State University, graduated from Weber College and BYU. Upon graduation he worked for Anderson Lumber as an accountant. He was the owner of Kents Shooter Supply. Upon retirement, he and Evona enjoyed traveling throughout the world, making friends wherever they went and their home became a bed and breakfast for family and friends from all over the world. Survivors include his wife, Evona; three children; 11 grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.

John J. Jasienski, 88, G/394, Avondale PA, died Feb. 26, 2011. He served through the entire European Theater Campaign and was a jeep driver for his unit. Wounded during the Battle of the Bulge, he earned the Purple Heart and Bronze Star. After the war, he successfully farmed with his two brothers for 50 years until retirement. Survivors include his son, Anthony, who attended reunions with him, two daughters, and eight grandchildren.

Iveal “Chub” Davis, 85, M/393, Seymour MO, died June 17, 2011.He spent 15 months as a heavy machine gunner, receiving a purple Heart, four Bronze Stars and several other medals and ribbbons. After the war, he worked at a variety of jobs including climbing poles and stringing wire, dairy farming, custom baling, insurance sales, dump truck owner/operator, family feeder pig operator and retired from the Pleasant Valley Township road maintenance department. Survivors include two daughters; six grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

William C. Reddick Jr., 87, C/395, died Feb. 20, 2007. He was employed by the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas from 1940 to 1990, and FSLIC from 1990 to 1994. Survivors include his wife, two children, and three grandchildren.

Last modified Dec. 23, 2011